Tips on Reading to Your Child
1. Model proper book handling skills
2. Point to each word as you read
3. Read clearly and slowly
4. Review unknown words
5. Encourage story retelling
6. Ask comprehension questions
My Top 3 Favorite Children's Books for Kindergarteners
1. Kindergarten, Here I Come! by D. J. Steinberg
-This book does a great job at easing students, and parents, as to what to expect in Kindergarten. From its rhyming, colorful pictures, and funny dialogue, it is the perfect book for the beginning of Kindergarten.
2. The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
-Kindergarten might be the first time a child is away from their parents or family and that can be scary! This sweet book describes how a raccoon manages his time away from his loved ones and how to cope and overcome the separation.
3. It's Okay To Be Different by Todd Parr
-Everybody is different and that is okay! From our hair, to our clothes, to the things we like to eat, everyone is different. This book helps children understand that differences can be a good thing and that we should be accepting of everyone!